Wood doors are frequently used at exterior entrances in residential homes. They are picked for their regular magnificence and in addition their adaptability. Wood doors could be finished using a mixed bag of methods to make the sought appearance. They may be stained, painted or basically sealed with a clear protective covering. These doors can even be refinished through the years as required to remove indications of damage and wear. To get the best conceivable effects when finishing your door, it is critical to pick the right materials and strategies for the employment.
Staining an Exterior Door
- Place the door on a couple of padded sawhorses. Use painter’s tape to protect the windows or hardware so it is not damaged while you work. Lightly sand the whole door to open the grain. This permits the stain to douse into the wood all the more effortlessly instead of just gathering on the surface. Use a fine gravel sandpaper or add a fine gravel cushion to an orbital hand sander to complete this errand.
- Clean the door to remove all sanding dust and filthy fingerprints. Apply mineral spirits to a clean cloth and wipe down the door. Wipe the door again with a clean, dry cloth before progressing.
- Apply a wood medicine or sanding sealer. This helps the wood to acknowledge the stain all the more equally and minimizes the danger of blotching or streaking. These sealers could be connected with a paint brush. While this sort of wood medicine is generally discriminating when finishing delicate woods like pine or birch, it could be accommodating with various sorts of wood doors.
- Use a paint brush to apply the stain. Use a stain intended to offer ultraviolet (UV) protection and oppose blurring on exterior doors. Brush the stain over the grain, then wipe it in the same bearing as the grain using a cloth. Remove all abundance stain before you proceed.
- Rehash Step 4 to apply a second layer of stain to make the coveted color and appearance. Hold up until this stain is completely dry and seal the door with a protective polyurethane sealer. Search for a sealer intended to offer UV protection on exterior openings. The sealer might be connected using a paint brush and might as well cover each of the six sides and edges of the door.
Painting Wood Doors
- Sand the door to remove any scratches or different marks that happened throughout sending and conveyance. Use a light gravel sandpaper or orbital hand sander for this assignment. There is no compelling reason to sand the whole door. Concentrate just on damaged zones.
- Clean the door with mineral spirits to remove all sanding dust, fingerprints and oil. Apply this cleaner with a clean fabric and wipe away any remaining cleaner before undertaking. Use painter’s tape to protect any glass, louvers or hardware on the door. Consider uprooting hardware as required so you have the capacity to apply paint to all regions of the door.
- Take action using a solitary cover of latex acrylic first stage. Apply the preparation using a clean abound paint brush, making a point to cover each of the 6 sides and edges of the door. Sit tight for the first stage to dry completely before painting.
- Paint the door using a clean swarm brush. Pick a latex acrylic paint intended for outdoor use. Paints that offer UV protection will serve to minimize blurring and will regularly final more drawn out than oil-based paints.
- Hold up until the paint is dry before applying a second cover. Two layers of paint connected over a solitary cover of preparation is the standard provision for exterior doors and will serve to make an even, uniform appearance.