Provided that your front door makes the house’s exterior look as dull and ash as its weathered wood however is an odd measure, a replacement could cost $800 or more. Restore the existing wood door in a solitary weekend for hundreds less.
- Arrange the sawhorses or workbench by covering them with an old cover or other padding to protect the interior surface of the door from damage.
- Use a mallet and screwdriver to remove the hinge pins. Free the door and lay it exterior side up on the work surface.
- Remove the old hardware and sand the old finish off with 80-gravel sandpaper. Assess the door for any splits and gouges and fill them with wood putty. Smooth with a putty knife and permit the putty to dry thoroughly.
- Smooth the door with 120-gravel sandpaper and finish getting ready the wood by sanding with 150-gravel sandpaper.
- Apply stain to the door with a paint brush and gave it a chance to dry. Accompany with two covers of exterior polyurethane to protect the wood from climate damage. Permit the polyurethane to dry, as per bundle headings, between covers.
- Install the new hardware, with the exception of handles and bolts, before rehanging the door. Replace the door on its hinges and install the handles and lock set.